Did you know that deferred maintenance is one of the biggest reasons homeowners end up with big repair costs?
If you only do 3 maintenance tasks for your home during the FALL in California, here are the ones that we recommend you do, that will keep your home looking nice, save on your energy bill, and help you save you money.
The 3 maintenance tasks that we recommend that you do in the FALL in California are:
- Weather-stripping and caulking inspection
- Window inspection and cleaning
- Household goods donations
WEATHERSTRIPPING & CAULKING INSPECTION
Over time, weather-stripping and caulking can break down, making your home less airtight, and therefore increasing your energy costs and creating opportunities for pests to invade your home. FALL is a great time to inspect your weather-stripping and caulking, and to make any necessary improvements and repairs before the colder weather of winter sets in.
Important places to check your weather-stripping include:
- Windows (around the frames and at bottom of the window).
- Doors (around the door jam and at bottom of the door).
- Sliding glass doors (around the frames and at end of the sliding doors).
- Garage doors (around the frame and at the bottom of the door).
- Attic access doors.
Important places to check your caulking include:
- Windows (where outer frames meet the exterior siding).
- Doors (where outer frames meet the exterior siding).
- Foundation (where the foundation meets the sill plate).
- Pipes and wires (where they penetrate outside walls).
- Roof vents, flashing, and chimneys.
- Edges where building materials meet.
- Electrical boxes, plumbing fixtures, electrical outlets, and ceiling fixtures.
WINDOW INSPECTION & CLEANING
Fall (after the harvest of nuts) is a great time for ensuring that your windows are ready for the winter, and are cleaned to allow the maximum sunlight in, which will help you reduce your heating bills.
When inspecting your windows, you should check the following:
- Broken panes: Broken panes should be replaced, as double-pane windows they lose their insulation properties when they are cracked.
- Caulk and glazing: Check caulk around windows for cracking and deterioration, and repair as necessary. Check glazing around window panes and repair as necessary.
- Window operation: If hinged window panes stick, they may need to be sanded, or sometimes a little Vaseline can help lubricate them. If your storm windows are in a track, you can use silicone spray to help keep them moving freely.
- Window hardware: Replace broken, worn, or missing hardware. Tighten and lubricate door hinges and closers, and window slides.
- Cleaning windows:
HOUSEHOLD GOODS DONATIONS
And lastly, Fall is a great time of year for beginning to organize your donations of household goods.
The benefits of making household goods donations include:
- Creates a year-end tax deduction.
- Creates more usable space in your home.
- Gives satisfaction of helping those who are less fortunate.
Items that you can consider for donation include:
- toys and sports equipment
- electrical appliances
- cell phone and computers
- Used appliances (e.g., washers, dryers, refrigerators)
- lawn care equipment
The items for donation should be in good condition or be able to be repaired, as most agencies will not receive items that are beyond repair. Check your local donation locations for restrictions. And remember to get a receipt for your donation for tax documentation purposes.
Local County Recycling Centers
Stanislaus County: http://www.stancounty.com/er/hazmat/household-hazardous-waste.shtm
San Juaquin County: https://www.sjgov.org/mobileapps/recycling/
Merced County: https://mcrwma.org/101/Recycling
We hope this article has helped motivate you to do at least 3 routine maintenance tasks for Fall, and these will help you to protect your home from the winter, save energy, and save money.
Trivia: Did you know that we have inspected over 7800 homes in Northern California and counting!!!
Did you know… We’ve expanded! We now have 2 offices to serve you!
Mark Harman & Spencer Harman
Your Northern California Home Inspectors
Central CA & Mail: Po Box 759 Hughson, CA Phone:209-324-3180
Bay Area: 4125 Hopyard Rd #225 Pleasanton, CA 94588 Phone: 925-699-2868